November 5, 2018

Immanuel, Burholme Holds Final Service Nov. 11

Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church in the Burholme section of Philadelphia will hold its final worship service on Sunday, November 11 at 3 PM. Rostered leaders and congregational members of the SEPA Synod are welcome to participant in a service of thanksgiving for the life and witness by this congregation for more an a century in Northeast Philadelphia.

We Remember in Prayer the Saints of Immanuel

We remember in prayer the saints of Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church as they prepare for their final worship service. We join with them in being a death and resurrection faith community as we give thanks for their faithful witness of 107 years. Their legacy lives on through the lives impacted by the congregation, their school and gift of physical property to the SEPA Synod for the building up of the kingdom of God in this region of the church.

Background on the Congregation

In 1911, a small group of Lutherans followed God’s call to organize a Lutheran congregation in what was then a rural part of Northeast Philadelphia. The pastor and members of Zion Lutheran Church of Olney helped in the founding of Immanuel. A Sunday School was created on the second floor of a building located on Cottman Street between Rising Sun Avenue and Oxford Pike. In 1913, ground was purchased, and a wooden church building was constructed on the corner of Cottman and Palmetto Streets known as Immanuel Lutheran Church of Fox Chase. The congregation continued to grow, and a larger stone church building was built in 1926. In 1956, the congregation was growing rapidly, and more it was decided to add an addition to the church building, to include a Parish Hall and Sunday School that would become the Immanuel Lutheran School Building, The congregation was renamed Immanuel Lutheran Church of Burholme. In 1963 a new stone church was built on the 1926 foundation. In 1965 Castor Gardens Lutheran Church of the Missouri Synod approached Immanuel to rent the Parish House for their growing Kindergarten through 8th grade school. This relationship continued until 1965 when the school became Immanuel Lutheran School serving children from Kindergarten through 8th grade.

107 Years of Faithful Service and Witness to the Gospel of Jesus Christ

After 107 years of faithful service and witness in the Burholme and surrounding community the demographic and worship patterns changed. Members moved away and some had given up driving. The maintenance of such a large property was daunting and monthly receipts did not cover expenses. Deficit spending depleted cash reserves and with great sadness, the realization that the congregation would have to close was acknowledged by on September 9, 2018.

Location

Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church is located at 1015 Cottman Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19111.