December 18, 2018

Remembering in prayer the saints at St. John’s, Quakertown

St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church in the Quakertown, a congregation in the Upper Bucks Conference, will hold their final worship service on Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 2:00 pm with Bishop Davenport presiding. Rostered leaders and congregational members of the SEPA Synod are welcome to attend a service of thanksgiving for the life and witness of this congregation to the Upper Bucks Community since 1860. Rostered leaders not participating in worship leadership are invited to sit in the congregation.

A brief history of St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church – Qukaertown

In 1860 Lutherans and German Reformed in Quakertown organized separate congregations and jointly began to seek contributions for a church building. Construction of a building, located near 10th and West Broad Streets, began that year but, due to the shortage of funds, only the foundation was completed. In 1865 the building was completed and dedicated. During this time, land for a cemetery, located on Juniper Street between 9th and 10th Street, was purchased. In 1868 the congregation purchased its bell and in 1870 installed its first pipe organ, built by Charles Durner of Quakertown. From 1870 to 1895 St. John’s, along with St. Matthew’s, Perkasie, and St. Paul’s, Applebachsville, formed Keller’s Parish. In 1893 the Lutherans and the Reformed dissolved their joint ownership of the building and the Lutherans purchased the Reformed share of the congregation’s present property.. In 1899 stained glass windows were installed and many building improvements were made.

Even as St. John’s prepares to close as a congregation, its members continue to seek to fulfill their mission statement by being “a community of people, gathered around God’s Word and Sacraments, whose mission is to grow in faith, spread the Gospel. and serve others.”

Join us in lifting up in prayer the saints of St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church – Quakertown

Please remember in prayer the saints of St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church – Quakertown as they prepare for their final worship service. We join with them in being a death and resurrection faith community as we give thanks for more than a century and half of faithful witness to the gospel of Jesus Christ. Their legacy lives on through the lives impacted by the congregation and gift of assets to the SEPA Synod for the building up of the kingdom of God in this region of the church.

St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church is located at 19 South 10th Street, Quakertown, PA 18951.